Connectivity

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Recently over at Maps' blog there has been debate over, and remembrance of, Hone Tuwhare. You can read about it here and here. I wanted to pay tribute to one of my favourite poets by selecting a couple of his poems and putting forward Scott's tribute poem to Tuwhare.

Rain
I can hear you
making small holes
in the silence
rain

If I were deaf
the pores of my skin
would open to you
and shut

And I
should know you
by the lick of you
if I were blind

the something
special smell of you
when the sun cakes
the ground

the steady
drum-roll sound
you make
when the wind drops

But if I
should not hear
smell or feel or see
you

you would still
define me
disperse me
wash over me
rain

Friend

Friend,
Do you remember that wild stretch of land
with the lone tree guarding the point from the sharp-tongued sea?
The boat we built out of branches wrenched from the tree, is dead wood now.
The air that was thick with the whir of toetoe spears succumbs at last to the grey gull's wheel.
Oyster-studded roots of the mangrove yield
no finer feast of silver-bellied eels, and sea-snails steaming in a rusty can.

Friend, allow me
to mend the broken ends
of shared days:
but I wanted to say
that the tree we climbed
that gave food and drink
to youthful dreams, is no more.
Pursed to the lips her fine-edged
leaves made whistle—now stamp
no silken tracery on the cracked
clay floor.

Friend,
in this grim time
of dark unrest I press your hand
if only for reassurance that all
our jewelled fantasies were real
and wore splendid garb.

Perhaps the tree
will strike fresh roots again:
give soothing shade to a hurt
and troubled world.

The Old Place

No one comes
by way of the doughy track
through straggly tea tree bush
and gorse, past the hidden spring
and bitter cress.

Under the chill moon's light
no one cares to look upon
the drunken fence-posts
and the gate white with moss.

No one except the wind
saw the old place
make her final curtsy
to the sky and earth:

and in no protesting sense
did iron and barbed wire
ease to the rust's invasion
nor twang more tautly
to the wind's slap and scream.

On the cream lorry
or morning paper van
no one comes,
for no one will ever leave
the golden city on the fussy train;
and there will be no more waiting
on the hill beside the quiet tree
where the old place falters
because no one comes anymore
no one.

To a Mäori figure cast in bronze
outside the Chief Post Office, Auckland

I hate being stuck up here, glaciated, hard all over
and with my guts removed: my old lady is not going
to like it

I’ve seen more efficient scarecrows in seedbed
nurseries. Hell, I can’t even shoo the pigeons off

Me: all hollow inside with longing for the marae on
the cliff at Kohimarama, where you can watch the ships
come in curling their white moustaches

Why didn’t they stick me next to Mickey Savage?
‘Now then,’ he was a good bloke
Maybe it was a Tory City Council that put me here

They never consulted me about naming the square
It’s a wonder they never called it: Hori-in-gorge-atbottom-
of-hill. Because it is like that: a gorge,
with the sun blocked out, the wind whistling around
your balls (your balls mate) And at night, how I
feel for the beatle-girls with their long-haired
boyfriends licking their frozen finger-chippy lips
hopefully. And me again beetling

my tent eyebrows forever, like a brass monkey with
real worries: I mean, how the hell can you welcome
the Overseas Dollar, if you can’t open your mouth
to poke your tongue out, eh?

If I could only move from this bloody pedestal I’d
show the long-hairs how to knock out a tune on the
souped-up guitar, my mere quivering, my taiaha held
at the high port. And I’d fix the ripe kotiro too
with their mini-piupiu-ed bums twinkling: yeah!

Somebody give me a drink: I can’t stand it


Tuwhare by Scott Hamilton

Tangaroa scuttles whales
and beaches fleets of dolphins,
Rehua flies moreporks
into an overpass,
Tane sends chainsaws
to chew on totara:
let’s face it, Hone,
the Gods are bloody stupid.
They give, and they take
away. They were stupid
again, this week.

I’m drinking Hone Hikoi
in the Harlequin Bar,
watching the TV,
watching them dig your hole.

Hine-nui-te-po was a bird
in the pub at Mangakino.
Not the blonde,
not the brunette, whatever
their names were –
the other one,
the one with the dampness
of the earth in her veins.
The one with the blackhead
on her chin -
the one filling an ashtray
in the corner of the pub,
under the dartboard
that had lost its numbers.

You ignored her,
but she was watching.
At closing time she sidled home
to sew you a suit.
She had to leave room,
knowing you’d fill out,
with Common Room sausage rolls
and literary dinners,
with Kaka Point homebrew
and with hot air.
Years, decades passed,
but the suit was waiting.
You’re wearing it now
as they squeeze you into the hole.

To write is to take
some little thing from death,
from Hine-nui-te-po,
'the Great Lady of Night'.
You took a dozen toi toi
and the rain on
a corrugated roof;
the Southern Ocean
and the walk down Highway One.
You left her a mound of earth
on the edge of Kaikohe,
and noon traffic backing up
to Ngawha Springs.



13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth talking on: I found a sweet deal on custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] white Entertainment Centers [/b][/url]. These guys have 24/7 phone service and they installed AND delivered my custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Modern Wall Unit [/b][/url]all for Free!!! I would recommend these guys for anyone interested in improving their home's design



L8r

10:47 pm, March 02, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Folks
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth writing about: I found This great resource on [url=http://html2rss.com/rss.php?id=235780[b]TV Stands [/b][/url].
Check them out I highly recommend

3:30 pm, March 19, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.k2blacksmoke.com]K2 Black Smoke[/url].
k2 affects the cannabanoids in the brain in the exact same way that thc does,
that's what makes this stuff synthetic marijuana. it acts almost exactly like bud,
that's the whole idea. I know it's worth every penny, you have to try this stuff out.
You won't be disatisfied with this place [url=http://www.k2blacksmoke.com]K2 Smoke[/url]. Been
ordering from them for a long time and they're shipping and billing is VERY discrete. Try it out today!

11:44 am, September 24, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys
I've been around here for a while now, and I finally found something worth writing about: I found a great deal on custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com/entertainment-centers.html][b] Contemporary Entertainment Centers [/b][/url]. These guys have 24/7 call-in service and they installed AND delivered my custom [url=http://www.milesgershon.com/entertainment-centers.html][b] Entertainment Center [/b][/url]all for Free!!! Check them out I highly recommend

Have a good One

http://cia.vc/stats/project/gnome/bigboard

6:25 am, December 06, 2010  
Blogger is a collection of New Zealanders said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:56 pm, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Moogette said...

OMG, I love Hone Tuwhare... thanks for posting my 3 favourite poems!

1:02 pm, December 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ukraine Wholesaler of obsolete electrical parts. Products include circuit breakers, switches, contactors & starters, lugs & terminals, relays, coils, fuses, bell alarms, buckets, push buttons, motor controls, enclosures, heaters, bus plugs, transformers, padlocking devices, shunt trips & undervoltage releases.

Best wishes,

Alexander

please contact us:
e-mail us :stock-nelikvid@mail.ru
fax: +380672368637
skype: radiodetali123

4:11 am, April 15, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

заводские неликвиды выкупаем

ICQ 427-616-956
tel:+38.095.856.14.68
Наталья

2РМГ27БПЭ7ШnЕ1(2)(Б)
PJ004B Есть
2РТТ20БУЭ2Ш4В
РБН2-30-18(26,34)Г2В
Разъем Гнездо BNC на плату (угловое) в наличии
2РМП24Б19Ш1(2)В1
РРН25-20-18Г7В
РВН3-7-1Ш7В
ШР48П20ЭШn-К
Разъем 1х 5 (м) для пайки на плату (PBS-5)
2РМТ27Б24ШnВ(А)1(ЛБ)В
ШР48П20НГn-К
Разъем на плату 6-6 (тип 2) (TJ2-6P6C)
Разъем ST17/2 93.041.1958.0 -93.041.1958.0 Запрос WE
СШРГ60П50ЭШn
4РТ48БПЭ26ШnОВ
Соединитель GST18i3K1-S 15H 60SW
РБН2-14-18(26,34)Ш7В
Соединитель GST18i3K1BS 25 70WS -92.238.7000.2 Запрос WE
Соединитель RST20I3K1-S 15P 60SW
РПП48Г9-2Т3 90-91
СР75-902ФВ СОЕДИНИТЕЛЬ РАДИОЧАСТОТНЫЙ. 1990-2010 ГОДА.
2РТТ20Б5Ш40В
РРС6-32-1-А-2-В
Разъем UNI-T THOMPSONIC а/магн.
ШР32П12ЭГn-К
2РТТ12КУН1Ш1В
BLS-1*02/разъем
МРН4-1(вилка)+(розетка) РАЗЪЕМ
1-209, Разъем RCA "гн" металл на кабель, пайка, красный,2 полосы
ВВТ5ГШ-9000 разъем 89
Разъем ST18/3B ZEV WS FL
Разъем RST20i2 96.022.4053.1 -96.022.4053.1 Запрос WE
2РТТ55Б35Ш34В
СНЦ13-14/30Р-6-а(б,в,г,д,е)(У)В
2РМДТ27КПЭ19ГnВ(А)1(ЛБ)В
2РТТ55БПН35Ш34В
Кабель нуль модемный DB9F-DB9M 1.8м литой разъем
Разъем RST20i3 96.032.1053.1 -96.032.1053.1 Запрос WE
2РТТ60БПН31Г35В
ШР60У47ЭГn-К
1-201 YE, (RP-406), Разъем RCA "гн" пластик на кабель, желтый
KLS15-PC 7F разъем розетка РС7ТВ
2РМДТ18БПН7ГnВ(А)1(ЛБ)В
2РТТ48КПН20Ш28В
Соединитель GST18I3K1-S 15 20SW -92.232.2004.1 Запрос WE
СНЦ14-10/10Р-2-а(б,в,г,д,е)(У)В
2РМТ45КУЭ50ШnВ(А)1(ЛБ)В
АНТЕННА ЛОКУС для моб. тел L 031.10 с кабелем 0,5 м, N-разъем 0
Разъем пит. штыревой 2,8х5,5 мм (м) на каб. (DJK-10I)


79794

5:01 pm, April 17, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is really great poem dear sir. I really like this poems and i hope everyone will be like this. Thank you so much for share. I hope you will be like Eid Mubarak 2018 poem for the Eid Ul Fitr 2018.

5:49 pm, June 02, 2018  
Blogger Unknown said...

Top Engineering College in Delhi NCR

11:09 pm, July 05, 2018  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sony Hdr Cx405 Handycam Black Friday

Black Friday Juicer Deals

6:01 pm, September 24, 2018  
Blogger Unknown said...

Black Friday Space Heater Deals
Black Friday Water Heater Deals


Black Friday Kitchen Faucet Deals Sales
Black Friday Ceiling Fans Deals under $100

6:41 pm, October 06, 2018  
Blogger kayan web said...

https://amyalbukhari.blogspot.com/2017/12/blog-post_28.html?showComment=1566212736412#c9116956316415358828

11:06 pm, August 19, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home