Connectivity

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Conflict Resolution
BBC World is running a Peacemakers Season throughout September and posing the question, “can conflicts be resolved through peaceful means?"

This question is one I have been thinking about for a while, not an easy question to answer. My background is, I did a degree in International Communication and I am currently considering doing my masters in International Relations/Politics/ Conflict Resolution/Peace Studies. I don’t have any answers, only still half formed opinions. I would like to start a discussion here and gather others’ points of view on this topic.
Some of the skills that can be developed to help resolve conflict in a peaceful and constructive way are:
· Building bridges not walls – looking for common ground.
· Understanding that not all conflict is bad, it can be constructive and lead to a better situation for all, if dealt with in the correct way. Differences can stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence.
· Develop self understanding and understanding of others.
· Develop Empathy - walk in their shoes. Don’t let differing viewpoints overwhelm the respect for one another and shared interests and concerns.
· Develop listening skills - listen, state your feelings, and offer a plan of action.
· Be Assertive but do not personally attack.
So, please give your opinions and I will add more to this discussion too....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:36 pm, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home